The Move....

I have decided to continue by blog at a new location. Please adjust your bookmarks. The new location is:https://sites.google.com/site/evasgoodlife/

Friday, November 24, 2006

Presumption

I am amazed sometimes at how wrong I can be about people.

My friend a work, D, has been dating a man for over a year. I had never met him or seen pictures of him. For the past year, he was sent her flowers, a lot of flowers. One day he sent five dozen roses. It was huge...very beautiful. The frequency is sporatic...one week, it's every day; the next time will be a month later for three days. D has told me stories of trips she has gone on with him..to see Elton John in Tennessee (or some place, can't remember but they had to fly there). He has surprised her on a number of occasions, no doubt more than I know about. I know this man owns his own business. These are the things I know about him. For some reason, based on this knowledge I had envisioned a "white collar" kind of guy; a man who gets a manicure; a man of average height and weight. I don't know why. D has never shared any physical description with me. I just jumped to my own conclusions.

Yesterday, since my husband went home to be with his mom for the holiday, I went to D's house for Thanksgiving dinner. I pulled into the driveway. A rather large man was sitting there and D came out of the house to greet me. I asked her, "is this your brother?" She says, "no this is Tom!" This man was exactly the opposite of what I imaged. Like I said he was big, no doubt over 6'2" and probably running 250lbs. I only hoped I covered by shock enough. Now, don't get me wrong...him being big isn't the issue here. The issue is how I came up with my illusion of what I thought he'd be. I just never imaged her with a man three times her size.

It just threw me.

No comments: