The Move....

I have decided to continue by blog at a new location. Please adjust your bookmarks. The new location is:https://sites.google.com/site/evasgoodlife/

Friday, November 11, 2011

Mama Mahoney

I came to visit Mama Mahoney today. I had everything planned out. I would come early because I had to take advantage of a ride to her house and that meant being at her house early. I'd visit with my sister in law, who I haven't seen since 2005 for a bit and then I'd sleep on the sofa. Mama Mahoney would wake up and after she got herself situated, we'd play Yahtzee and Scrabble on my IPad and just visit a while. Then we'd work on the jigsaw puzzle she had been working on. We'd eat lunch and then I'd be on my way.

This was what I had planned. It didn't work out that way. I got there early; this did happen. I was talking to my SIL, Mary when Mama Mahoney emerged from her bedroom. I motioned to come to her to give her a hug but she said, "I have to go," as she plotted along with her walker to the restroom. I figured I'd hug her when she came out and I turned my attention to Mary. Suddenly there was a clamor and then Mama Mahoney was yelling. My first reaction was to look at Mary because I was sure, in that split second, she was going to tell me, "oh, that's okay...it's just ma making the same noise she makes every time she goes to the restroom." It wasn't. Ma was on her left side; the same side she had hip replacement surgery on in 1999 and she was yelling out in pain.

Mama Mahoney has a hairline fracture of the hip. I'm sick with worry. I wish so much I had walked the four steps to her. I really believe if I had, the outcome would be different. But it wasn't. Mary had told me that ma was doing better. She was getting to the restroom on her own; doing things independently and now she's back to square one. Grrrr....I'm so sad.

They say that a hip fracture at an advanced age means a recovery is not likely. I think she could come back from this though. I've known this woman for over 25 years and in that time I never known her to break a bone. Her brother, Al, broke his hip at 87 and now, at 91 he's fine; getting around, still driving.

All of this is so reminiscent to when my mother was alive. She died shortly after the bones around the plate they put in her hip just crumbled. Her osteoporosis was so bad than a simple step on the day before she was to finally go home changed her life and mine forever.

Fortunately for Mama Mahoney, her bones are much stronger. I pray she can work through the pain and get better.

No comments: