The Move....

I have decided to continue by blog at a new location. Please adjust your bookmarks. The new location is:https://sites.google.com/site/evasgoodlife/

Thursday, November 24, 2011

My "I Kicked the Snot Out of Breast Cancer" WNY Tour

This post is overdue.  It seems like I think about writing it (and others) and then something stops me.  Writer's block? Perhaps?  But often, I find myself wanting to nap instead.  

Speaking of napping, I do believe that God thought I had too much planned on my trip.  Yeah, in an attempt to slow me down, I got socked with an awful head cold.  I ended up cancelling many of the things I had planned to do.  I guess I didn't comprehend the concept of "your immune system has been compromised by cancer" enough so fate had to step in.


I did see my mother-in-law fall and break her hip (see last post) which is always a treat. (That's sarcasm...I love her...we do NOT have the stereotypical MIL / DIL relationship.)  
Me & Chic

I did meet up with friends and my brothers, Jim & Ed at Desperadoes in Angola on 11/11.  That was fun for a few hours.  I drank way too many O'Dooles! :)  

Jon & Amanda
Uncle Bob, figuring it out.

On Saturday (11/12), I met up with Jim, Ed, Marlene (SIL), Amanda, Kate, Devin (Kate's BF) Jon, cousin Louise and Uncle Bob at Applebees in Blasdell.  That was fun too. It's good to see Uncle Bob whenever I'm in town.  He's 86 and still interested in figuring out his phone. :) 

Tammy, Devon & Kate
Linda, Carol & me

Ed & Don
 On Sunday, (11/13) we had a Bills party at Jim's.  Yeah, I think the Bills played...you certainly wouldn't have known 

from the score against Dallass! Yeah, I may be an Okie but I sure don't care for those Cowboys. Anyway, it was great just the same as my cousins, Carol & Don & Kimberly and Linda & Ray came over as did Tammy & Ray (my brother's ex-in-laws) and Ed & Amanda. Kate, Devon & Jon were there too.  We had fun just visiting...didn't really watch the game much anyway.

On 11/14, I went to the hospital to see Mama Mahoney. This lady is such a trooper.  They are not going to do surgery, just let it heal.  Well, we say that but she's in rehab now and she's not sitting around healing.  They get her up to do occupational therapy every morning and physical therapy every afternoon.  I get that this has to be done but how can a bone heal if it's being moved around? I just don't get that.  After leaving the hospital, I drove in the pouring rain. I had to stop and get gas and nitrogen in the tires and get the oil checked because the "check oil light" kept going on.  I found a place, by accident...not that I believe in accidents, that would do all three.  This meant several trips out in the cold and rain. I drove in the rain back to Jim's.  Kate was waiting to take us to her grandparent's house for dinner.  Kate's such a little trooper; the monsoon we drove through didn't hardly phase her.  Dinner with Ray and Tammy was wonderful...thank you guys.

On Tuesday morning 11/15 I was officially sick.  I managed to go to Peppers in Angola to meet my former neighbor, Judy.  She's a former nurse and she told me I needed to stay at Jim's and sleep and not go off visiting people.  It wasn't good for me or them at this point.  So I cancelled seeing Uncle Bob again. I cancelled my plans for Wednesday and Thursday. I didn't get to see Mama Mahoney until Friday and I still kept my distance.  I also did get to see my friends Gemma and Kevin.  
Kate, Me and Devon

Then Saturday I was back, flying those friendly skies.  Fortunately the head cold is gone.  

Kate, Me and Jon
It was so really great to be back in WNY.  I wasn't able to take my annual summer trip this year because of my treatment.  I appreciate my family and friends for helping me kick the snot out of breast cancer! :)    
I like this pic of me and Jim.



No comments: