The Move....

I have decided to continue by blog at a new location. Please adjust your bookmarks. The new location is:https://sites.google.com/site/evasgoodlife/

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Health Update

Pumping Iron!
I’m at the half way point on my radiation.  As you can see, I’ve been shooting a lot of hoops. (Don’t worry, I’m not over-doing it.) Okay, here’s my report:

  • ·         I’m tarred and feathered!  Say it like a Redneck – “tarred.”  They say this will happen with radiation and it may continue for weeks after I’m done.  As tired as I am, I’m not sleeping very well. I don’t seem to get tired at night; it’s the morning. I get up around 7am, take my pills, eat breakfast and take Becca for a walk.  Then I want to sleep. If I lay down, it’s for a good three hours. I try not to do this because I want to do something constructive but I sometimes I just have to sleep. The radiation isn’t giving me a sun burn yet.
  • ·         I went to a Breast Cancer Survivors Luncheon.  It was interesting.  They had a speaker, Krista Newgent, PT.  She specializes in Lymphedema.  She says that even if you have one lymph node removed you are susceptible to this condition. If one contracts Lymphedema, they can’t get rid of it.  Krista says I need to get a compression sleeve to wear on my right arm when I’m doing housework or lifting anything, I also need to wear it when I get on an airplane.  Apparently swelling can occur when faced with a change in altitude.  This is all new to me.  Well, that's not completely true. I'm sure it was discussed, but in my chemo-brain head, I couldn't address it. Anyway, I brought this up with Dr Toma and her office is working on getting me an appointment with Krista for an evaluation.
  • ·         My weight is staying the same despite my eating calorie ridden confections like chocolate cheese cake, chocolate pudding and coco-coconut butter.  I’m starting to like more foods.  I’m still not big on beef or cake though.
That's about it for now.

No comments: