The Move....

I have decided to continue by blog at a new location. Please adjust your bookmarks. The new location is:https://sites.google.com/site/evasgoodlife/

Monday, June 27, 2005

On picking a church

I have lived in Oklahoma for almost seven years. I have thought about joining a church and I have gone to a couple churches in the past two years for services, weddings and funerals. I just haven't bothered to join.

I guess I am hoping to find a church that isn't so hung up on religion....so hung up on the rules. I know, sounds more like a social club. It seems strange to me that here I am in the so-called "Bible-Belt" and yet the crime rate is so high. So friggin high. How can that be?

There are so many churchs here...as popular as 7-11's.....one on every other corner. There are all kinds of denominations too...Baptist (I went to a funeral at a Baptist Church...there were so much "amen"ing and "praise the Lord"ing the poor pastor couldn't get though the service.); Catholic (went to a memorial service at a Catholic church... the priest actually kissed the pulpit, kissed his Bible, kissed his little sash he wears. I got my arobic workout by kneeling, sitting down, standing up, kneeling, sitting, standing.); Lutherin (no slightly amusing tales to share there). Then there are so many who have to be first...First Church of Edmond; First Church of Christ; First Church of Overthinking...everyone wants to be number one! What's up with that?

I also want a church who isn't going to discriminate because you are gay or pro-choice. I am neither of these things, but I still don't want someone telling them they are wrong. My church would except you for who you are. Well, of course, there are limits there too since I still don't think it's okay to be a pediphil or a murderer...so I guess acceptance has its limits too. It angers me so when you hear on the news how church members can justify bombing an abortion clinic. It's like, what is wrong with this picture?

My church would just believe in being good; doing good things and having a little prayer now and then. My friend at work says I should read the Bible. I know this isn't going to happen. I believe what I believe and I really don't think I need to talk about it. When a friend sends me one of those emails that says, "If you love God, you will forward this to 10 people." It ain't going to happen. God knows fully well what I feel about him. I don't need to bug 10 friends about it. I also don't want my church to post the tally of my contributions. I don't think church should cost me anything...if it does, I won't go.

What I should do is Church shop...go to a new one every week and then make a decision. I'm going to sleep on that. Good night.

5 comments:

Phil said...

Good Morning.
I too have had touble with finding a church. I was raised a catholic and went through 8 years of catholic school. As of about maybe 10 years ago, I consider myself a 'recovering catholic'. When I go to church, it's to a Presbyterian one that my wife (although raised a catholic too) has been involved with from more a a musical standpoint. In general, I'm not a fan of organized religions and the whole 'my God can kick you God's butt' mentality. And all of those fundemental exremists (not just muslim either) drive me nuts. I think God's message is to love one another and to get along, not to kill everyone who has a different view as you. I may be wrong. One last thing, if God really wanted to get in touch with me, I don't think he'd use e-mail....

Chris said...

I agree Eva. I've been struggling myself lately. I was raised "Christian" and attended a Baptist church most of my life. I later switched to a non-denominational church in Edmond called Life Church. It's pretty cool and high tech but I'm having a really hard time believing that God put me here to struggle with myself my whole life. "Don't do this, don't do that, don't feel this way, don't feel that way." Every religion has their "Bible" and the one that is "Right" often depends upon the family you were born into. Why is my religion "the one" versus the muslim down the street who just so happened to be born into the family that he was born into? And for Christianity, basically I have to write off half of the feelings I have in a given day as being "sinful thoughts" and not live for here, but to focus my whole life for the hereafter once I'm dead. What a rip! Have you ever read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand? I believe in a God or higher power for the simple fact that this world and our existence is just too awesome to have been the coincidence of some sludge forming together and oozing up on a prehistoric shore, but I do kind of like the idea of focusing on making my life the best that it can be. Anyway, I'll be quiet now.

Phil said...

Hi Eva, Just a word of caution. If you posting to that moron's site, sign as anonymous or you can select other and just put eva or something else. I don't think you need that jerk hasseling you and he may evenually see the site. I modified your post for you.
Phil

EVA MAHONEY said...

Oh, I'm so out of touch..guess I need to read more. I didn't think his blog made him a moron but Phil you must know from other comments he has made. Thanks for looking out for me.:)

Phil said...

Eva, he's trouble. That site is a spoof on his site. Trust me on this. Thanks for your words of encouragement, I'm not looking forward to starting chemo again, but it's what I have to do...
Also, you can delete the other comments on this post. I accidentaly posted the same thing 3 times (DSL problems) so I tried to delete them, only you have the power to get rid of them completely.
-phil