The Move....

I have decided to continue by blog at a new location. Please adjust your bookmarks. The new location is:https://sites.google.com/site/evasgoodlife/

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

How Honest are you?

How honest are you? If you're at a restaurant, say IHOP, and the bill has been miscalculated to your advantage, do you bring it to the waitress's attention? If you put a bag of dog food under the cart at WalMart but forgot to tell the cashier or forget to take it off the cart for her to scan, do you go back into the store to pay for it? The bank teller miscounts and gives you an extra $10 bill back, do you take it back to the bank?

I have a friend who insists she will go back to correct an error. She doesn't want two unpaid for iced teas on her bill that the waitress forgot to add to stand in the way of her trip to Heaven.

I admire that but I can honestly say, I try to be honest but I won't say I always am. It does depend on who it is that suffers. If it's a small mom and pop cafe, I'd bring the error to their attention. If it's WalMart, I probably won't. If I'm buying Girl Scout cookies and the 12 year old girl charges me for 2 boxes and I had bought 3, I'd tell her. It really depends. I guess this means I'm selectively dishonest. I have never, nor would I ever blantantly steal but if the cashier or waitress aren't doing their jobs; I'm not going to go out of my way to correct them. If this means I'm dishonest, well, if the label fits...

No comments: